Dog’s are not only a man’s best friend – they are a kids best friend, too! Dogs are proven to help kids stay active, healthy and develop their social skills. If you are contemplating getting a furry friend for your kids, read below for a list of some of the benefits.
- Keeps kids healthy. We are always looking for ways to stay healthy. Dogs help build and strengthen kids’ immune systems. According to a study, babies who lived with a dog were 31% more likely to be healthy in their first year than babies without a dog. Kids with dogs are less prone to developing allergies and asthma.
- Companionship! According to a recent study, about 90% of all kids live with a pet at some point during their childhood. The reason behind this is quite simple, dogs are great companions for, not only kids, but for everyone! In fact, there is a proven link that dogs help decrease anxiety, particularly social and separation anxiety.
- Helps kids stay active. Dogs love to run around and be active, and so do your kids. Further, research shows that kids that have a dog are active for 11 more minutes a day than an kid without a dog. Running, playing and chasing a dog will help keep kids active and away from the TV, computer and tablet!
- Helps kids develop essential skills. Having a dog helps develop social, parental, reading and creative skills throughout their childhood. In addition, dogs can get frustrating when they don’t follow directions and chew on inappropriate objects. The upside to this is that it helps teach kids patience. Having a dog helps kids develop social skills and develop a better understanding on how to interact with strangers and other dogs. Kids are also known to develop stronger reading skills by reading out loud to their dog.
- Protection. It is no secret that dogs will protect their loved ones. Dogs can be trained to be aware of any disturbance in their household or inform their owner of any threatening surroundings. With a trained dog, you can be sure they will help keep your kids safe at home and on their walks!
About the Author