3 Ways To Make Their Summer Birthday Special!
We know that having a summer birthday (or birthday that falls on a vacation week or holiday) as a child can be tough. A lot of people are away on vacation or with family and it’s more difficult to round up all of their friends. Although this may be better for you, the parents, as it can make for a slightly cheaper party, we understand that it may be hard on your child as they feel like they ‘miss out.’ Don’t worry, we are here to help! Here are 3 ways to make your child’s summer birthday special!
- Celebrate on another day, when school is in session. For instance, if your birthday is over the summer, celebrate on the last day of school with an end-of-the-year birthday party! Same goes for if your child’s birthday is over a vacation when school is out of session – have it on the last day of school prior to their vacation.
- Make their actual birthday EXTRA special. If you choose to have their party a different day or not make sure to make a big deal around their actual birthday to make them feel special. Try celebrating all throughout the day – balloons in their room early in the morning when they wake up, candle in their breakfast, candle in their lunch, candle in their cake for dessert. Have them pick a special birthday activity they love to do beforehand so you can have it all organized & thought out ahead of time. For example, If they want to go to the zoo, do your due-diligence – if it’s a holiday, make sure it’s open for one thing, or know what their special hours are. Pack the bags, snacks etc the night before so you aren’t spending any extra time doing this on the day of.
- Take advantage of the outdoors! Summer is actually a GREAT time to have a birthday party. (And less children just make for a more intimate setting). Pool parties, beach parties, water park parties, backyard parties, and camp outs are all great ideas for a summer birthday.
- For younger kids, Backyard party ideas – choose a theme that your child is into whether it be Mickey Mouse, pirates, or Finding Nemo, and theme your party around that. If it’s pirates, for example, get some eye patches & swords from your local dollar store for the kids to wear and hide a treasure chest for them to find. Make a treasure map where X marks the spot with clues and have the kids go hunt for the loot! Try hiding some Dr Pops Lollipops in the treasure, too! 😉
- For older kids, Camp Out party ideas – pitch up a few tents in your backyard (see if you can rent them from your local camping store) and set up a camp fire. Get some s’more ingredients and have the kids make their own s’mores. Get creative, and set it up buffet style with some extra special treats that are some of your child’s favs. Maybe add sprinkles to their marshmallows or melted chocolate to dip, etc.
As long as you make the day extra special for your child, they will have the best birthday no matter when it is, and no matter who attends!